|Text on Back:||TEXAS STATE CAPITOL AT NIGHT|
After fire destroyed the Capitol in 1881 plans were made for the erection of a permanent building. Owners of Granite Mountain at Marble Falls offered to donate stone for the structure, provided they could be assured of a railroad from Austin to Burnett – 60 miles away. The offer was accepted. The legislature had already set aside 3,050,000 acres of its public domain in the panhandle to pay for construction. As a result the great XIT Ranch came into existence, the contractors taking over the acreage piecemeal as their work progressed. The new capitol was completed in 1888. The statue "Goddess of Liberty" stands atop the dome.
|Publisher:||F.J. Schaaf, Alamagordo, New Mexico|
|Source:||Collection of Casey M. Weaver|